Error loading 'kio_fonts'

Miguel Angelo Rozsas miguel at k3m.com.br
Wed Oct 27 12:39:21 BST 2004

Hi !

	I need help to fix a issue with my system.
	The problem is I can't browse the fonts installed in my system, neither
install new new ones.

	As a regular user, when I type "fonts:/" in the konqueror, I go the following
error message:

An error occurred while loading fonts:/:
Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_fonts'.

	As a root user, when I type "fonts:/" in a konqueror, I got the following:

The process for the fonts protocol died unexpectedly. (in a popup window)

and when I type "fonts:/system" in that root's konqueror browser, I got  (in
the main window):

An error occurred while loading fonts:/system:
The file or folder /system does not exist.

	I don't understand the how the things works here, so I am lost.
	I appreciate any hints to help me to debug and fix this issue.

	My system is a SuSE 9.1, running KDE 3.3.1, kernel 2.6.5. All system is
updated by apt (apt dist-upgrade).

miguel:~[103]> uname -a
Linux marozsas 2.6.5-7.111-default #1 Wed Oct 13 15:45:13 UTC 2004 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux
miguel:~[104]> rpm -qa | egrep -i "kio|font"
freefont-0.20040227-59
terminus-font-4.06-79
ghostscript-fonts-std-7.07.1rc1-190
ghostscript-fonts-other-7.07.1rc1-190