how can I use an OLDER version of an app? (how to make the makefile & make the binary?)

Thomas McGuire thomasmg at web.de
Tue Oct 26 17:57:38 BST 2004

On Monday 25 October 2004 21:56, Miles Keaton wrote:
> I really liked the previous (.4) version of KJots (kdeutils/kjots)
> I want to use that version of kjots instead of the current version,
> though I like everything else about KDE 3.3
Why don't you like kjots anymore ? If there is a specific thing, you could
preferred the old behavior.

> I follow the CVS instructions here:
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/howto/cvsusing.html
>
> ... and I've got the KDE 3.1 source code all checked out for
kdeutils/kjots

> ... but what do I do with it now?
>
> Sorry I don't have C++ experience so I don't know how to make the
> Makefile.  Any advice?
I am not sure if this is possible at all, there could be source/binary
incompatibilities.

There is a great guide on building KDE CVS at
http://quality.kde.org/develop/cvsguide/buildstep.php.
The problem is that it describes how to build the whole KDE, not a single
application. But I think you can figure out how to do this yourself.
AFAIK you only need to (in the kdeutils directory):
>make -f Makefile.cvs
>./configure
>make kdeutils/kjots
>su
>make install kdeutils/kjots
Of course you environment variables (KDEDIR,QTDIR,PATH,...) must be
correct.

Hope that helps,
Thomas