theres no icon for kmail

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Oct 23 00:57:54 BST 2004

Zé wrote:
> After installing kdepim-3.3.1 doesnt appear any icon for kontact or kmail, i
> can only run kmail or kontact through the console.
>
> Can anyone tell me what going on and what i can do to put an icon appearing to
> be able to start kontact or kmail?

Do you mean that there is no entry in the K-Menu for these two programs?

Or, do you also want this on the Panel or the DeskTop.  If it is in the K-Menu
and you want it somewhere else, just drag and drop (and choose: "Copy").

If they are missing from the menu, you have an installation problem.

Check to see if the 'desktop' files are missing.  Go to:

	$KDEDIR/share/applications/kde

and look for the files:

	KMail.desktop
	Kontact.desktop

If they are there, check the permissions:

[root at localhost kde]# ls -l KMail.desktop Kontact.desktop
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         2641 Sep  3 15:29 KMail.desktop
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         2427 Sep  3 15:30 Kontact.desktop

They should be as above (644).  If they are not [as root],

	chmod 644 KMail.desktop Kontact.desktop

If this does not identify the problem, it is getting rather weird. :-)

Next would be to look in "$HOME/.kde/share/applnk" for any old 'desktop' files
for these programs and delete them.

--
JRT