extremely long start up times

SnapafunFrank Frank at snapafun.co.nz
Fri Oct 15 06:00:20 BST 2004

koffice at usmstudent.com wrote:

>On Thursday 14 October 2004 07:53 am, Rikard Johnels wrote:
>

>>On Thursday 14 October 2004 05.10, darren wrote:
>>

>>>I am running KDE 3.2 on Mandrake 10.0 on my laptop.  Everything runs
>>>normal while I'm at home.  When I'm at school, however, some apps take an
>>>extraordinary amount of time to start (like 5 minutes).  Once started,
>>>they seem to operate fine.  Other applications don't suffer this same
>>>fate.
>>>
>>>Examples of applications that start slowly:
>>> o  Open Office
>>> o  Kate
>>> o  Konqueror  *this one isn't consistently bad
>>>
>>>Examples of applications that start OK:
>>> o  Kmail
>>> o  FireFox
>>> o  Konsole
>>> o  Audacity
>>> o  Skype
>>>
>>>The only difference between starting my computer at home and my computer
>>>at school is that my ethernet is plugged in when starting at home.  My
>>>internet connection at school is wireless.  It is not started until I
>>>have fully booted (I start the wireless connection manually).
>>>
>>>Any suggestions where to look or how to begin troubleshooting?  Or,
>>>better yet, anyone recognize this issue.
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>Darren
>>>

>>Sounds like a DNS issue.
>>Something is looking for a DNS that isnt there.
>>Do you use DHCP on both locations?
>>

>Yes.  I use DHCP in both places.  But, I question why Kate (for example) would
>need to be aware of my Internet connection.
>
>My hostname returns:
>	[root at mandrake backdoc]# hostname
>	mandrake
>
>My /etc/hosts looks like:
>
>	[root at mandrake backdoc]# cat /etc/hosts
>	<snipage>
>	192.168.1.100           mandrake
>
>grep'ing for my private IP looks like:
>	[root at mandrake backdoc]# ifconfig |grep 192
> 	inet addr:192.168.1.100  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>
>Darren

I have just had this problem, ( look to the archives here for Re: app
startup times high ) and I resolved it by getting the /etc/hosts file
correct.
Your dosen't appear to have enough in it.

[root at Snapafun frank]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
127.0.0.1       Snapafun.localdomain    localhost
127.0.0.1       www.snapafun.con        Snapafun
127.0.0.1       www.snapafun.con        localhost

This is over kill I'ld admit but the point here is that there are three
arguments, not two.

To tidy mine up the entry within /etc/hosts will appear so:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost Snapafun.localdomain
127.0.0.1 Snapafun www.snapafun.con

( Thanks Shawn)

[ The *.con part is for webmin local ]

All my stuff is now back to a 5 second startup as opposed to the 38
second one I was getting before. As you are networked I suspect you will
have a short delay but nothing like 5 minutes is acceptable.

--
Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213