extremely long start up times

Rikard Johnels rikjoh at norweb.se
Thu Oct 14 19:09:31 BST 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 18.36, koffice at usmstudent.com wrote:
> On Thursday 14 October 2004 08:55 am, Rikard Johnels wrote:

<lots of lines cut>

> > > My hostname returns:
> > >  [root at mandrake backdoc]# hostname
> > >  mandrake
> > >
> > > My /etc/hosts looks like:
> > >
> > >  [root at mandrake backdoc]# cat /etc/hosts
> > >  <snipage>
> > >  192.168.1.100           mandrake
> > >
> > > grep'ing for my private IP looks like:
> > >  [root at mandrake backdoc]# ifconfig |grep 192
> > >   inet addr:192.168.1.100  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
<More cut>

> Today, I can only give you my resolv.conf from home.
>
> [root at mandrake backdoc]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search mydomain.com
> nameserver 20X.15X.25X.5X
> nameserver 20X.15X.25X.24X
>
> I don't see why OpenOffice Kate should care about my network status to
> begin with.  Do they "phone home"?  I sure hope not.

It still looks to me as if you are running a static IP.
Do you really use a DHCP server at home?
Are you sure you can reach the named DNS servers at school?

The IP you get at school network, are they all ok?

Kate doesn't "phone home" as far as i know. But it MIGHT (not saying it does)
check for things on the computer. And doing so might rely on DNS lookups.
Lots of KDE apps are "network aware" in the sense that they see network
connections as valid ways to find whatever files you want to look at.

Out of curiosity. Is the slow starts reproduceable at home if you disconnect
the cable?

--
         /Rikard

Rikard Johnels          email   : rikjoh at norweb.se
                        Web     : http://www.rikjoh.com
                        Mob     : +46 735 05 51 01

< 15 28 DF 78 67 98 B2 16 1F D3 FD C5 59 D4 B6 78  46 1C EE 56 >