extremely long start up times

koffice at usmstudent.com koffice at usmstudent.com
Thu Oct 14 14:43:41 BST 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 07:53 am, Rikard Johnels wrote:
> On Thursday 14 October 2004 05.10, darren wrote:
> > I am running KDE 3.2 on Mandrake 10.0 on my laptop.  Everything runs
> > normal while I'm at home.  When I'm at school, however, some apps take an
> > extraordinary amount of time to start (like 5 minutes).  Once started,
> > they seem to operate fine.  Other applications don't suffer this same
> > fate.
> >
> > Examples of applications that start slowly:
> >  o  Open Office
> >  o  Kate
> >  o  Konqueror  *this one isn't consistently bad
> >
> > Examples of applications that start OK:
> >  o  Kmail
> >  o  FireFox
> >  o  Konsole
> >  o  Audacity
> >  o  Skype
> >
> > The only difference between starting my computer at home and my computer
> > at school is that my ethernet is plugged in when starting at home.  My
> > internet connection at school is wireless.  It is not started until I
> > have fully booted (I start the wireless connection manually).
> >
> > Any suggestions where to look or how to begin troubleshooting?  Or,
> > better yet, anyone recognize this issue.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Darren
>
> Sounds like a DNS issue.
> Something is looking for a DNS that isnt there.
> Do you use DHCP on both locations?

Yes.  I use DHCP in both places.  But, I question why Kate (for example) would
need to be aware of my Internet connection.

My hostname returns:
	[root at mandrake backdoc]# hostname
	mandrake

My /etc/hosts looks like:

	[root at mandrake backdoc]# cat /etc/hosts
	<snipage>
	192.168.1.100           mandrake

grep'ing for my private IP looks like:
	[root at mandrake backdoc]# ifconfig |grep 192
 	inet addr:192.168.1.100  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

Darren