Can I display Chinese character filenemes in an

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Oct 4 17:35:19 BST 2004

Robin Rosenberg wrote:
> On Monday 04 October 2004 04.56, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Obviously, what I said is not Chinese specific.  It applies to any and all
>>UTF-8 encoded file names.  ISO-8859-1 is a subset of UTF-8 so Latin
>>characters will display just the same.
>

> No. ASCII is a subset of UTF-8.  ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 are different and
> incompatible (or I'd would be using UTF-8 today).

I have: "LANG=en_us.utf8" and I have no problems.  IIRC, that is what I have
read at authoritative sources.  But, do you mean that glyphs 128-255 are not the
same in ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8?  Perhaps there are some problems that I am not
aware of since all I ever use (128-255) are Latin letters with diacritical
marks.  It does appear that odd combinations of characters could be interpreted
as something other than ISO-8859-1.

>>And AFAIK, using UTF-8 is the only way to have file names of more than one
>>language at a time.
>

> Obvously wrong, but perhaps most people understand what you meant. UTF-8
> is the only way of handling any arbitrary combination of languages. Many set
> of languages can be handled with the same character set as is done today.

Poor choice of words: "language" perhaps alphabet would be better, but there
really isn't a correct word for this concept.  Obviously what I meant was
"languages (that require different character encodings)" -- my ellipsis would
have been clear if I had spoken it (in context), but I should have written it out.

Perhaps I should have gone to bed instead of answering questions. :-)

--
JRT