kde still forgetfull if run 24/7

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Oct 2 22:49:57 BST 2004

Greetings;

I sit here and read about all the troubles others have with kde this
and kde that, none of which I've experienced with this Konstruct
built 3.3 install.  Theres something to be said in favor of it IMO.
Generally speaking, it Just Works(tm) :-)

BUT:
Its been a month, maybe less, but I just had to go around thru all the
network configuration stuffs, clicking on edit, then ok without
actually changing anything, which enables the apply button, for all
my email connections in order to restore connectivity, and it then
grabbed about 150 waiting messages.  It hadn't received any new
messages in several hours and I was all caught up.  That gets my
attention since I'm on quite a few mailing lists.

Its set to do a mail fetch run every 10 minutes, and normally runs
24/7/365.  So my question is: why do I have to do this, say about
every 2-3 weeks on average?  And why, when it needs this, does it not
spit out an error of some kind?  Its mute, it just simply makes the
run according to the message bar at the bottom of the window and
doesn't pick up anything.  No connection errors are logged anyplace.

This has been an outstanding bug in kmail since way back in kde 2
days, and has been experienced on 2 machines here with 3 motherboards
over the course of the last 5 years.  Humm, my office machine did
that too come to think of it, 2 years and more ago.

I love it, but it nibbles on me that way every once in a while.  Can
it not be fixed?  Or could it be an artifact of swap activity or
something equally mundain?  I'd think that something that was read
every 10 minutes wouldn't get swapped out, but I'm just guessing.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)