Can I display Chinese character filenemes in an

Glenn Alexander glenalec at shoalhaven.net.au
Sat Oct 2 12:04:58 BST 2004

> > I use KFM in English and my partner in Chinese. When I transfer
files
> > from her home directory to mine, I can only see gobbledygook
> > characters for filenames. Can I make my English-localised KFM
display
> > these as Chinese chars without changing to a Chinese language
> > environment?
>
> Just to clarify, you're sharing the same PC with a full set of
Chinese fonts
> and locale files installed, just separate users with different
default
> locales?  Or are you using separate PC's?  If the latter, try
installing all
> the same fonts and locales on your machine, but keep your en locale.

Same PC, different accounts. Fonts universally accessible -- Chinese
web pages display fine for me (well, I disabled Java and Javascript,
so they are not full of spinning bouncing adverts and every Java
toy-let ever written, but the text bit is fine).

> Also, what file system are you using?  What are the settings for
> internationalisation/encoding for it?  And which distribution?

Filesystem = ReiserFS
Distro = Debian/testing

My partner is set up for zh_CN.GB2312 first and US English second in
Kcontrol. and for zh_CN.GB2312 in her .xsession which mainly just
launches the fcitx xim.

I am set up for US English first in Kcontrol and launch from KDM
default KDE with no .xsession. I tried adding zh_CN.GB2312 as second
language without results.

Root is set up the same as me, and also doesn't display the
characters.

I likely need to make myself a .xsession, but haven't a clue how to do
this for two languages, assuming this is what is needed, even.

> P.S. Go the 'Gong!

One day I'll get back there from NE China where I have spent the past
5 years avoiding unemployment. 9 months from now, to be exact. I've
been told they are a bit short on tech-savy primary teachers now.

regards,
Glenn Alexander
(B.Teach, B.Ed Major IT Education, University of Wollongong Australia)
Home: http://www.shoalhaven.net.au/~glenalec