kwin restart?

Thomas Roth thomas.roth at physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Oct 1 10:46:29 BST 2004

Hello list,
is there a possiblity to restart the kde windowmanager, say from a
console, without logging out completely, that is without restarting the
X server?
I'm running KDE 3.2 on SuSE Linux 9.1. Some weird program messed up my
screen, esp. the resolution. However another program (also started from
within KDE though not with nohup :-() was still running, and I did not
want to kill that one also. Old-fashioned window managers had some key
combination to restart, without restarting X.
Maybe 'kwin --replace' could do the trick?

Thanks,
Thomas