Fonts

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Nov 20 19:30:58 GMT 2004

Pupeno wrote:

> Je Sabato Novembro 20 2004 15:37, James Richard Tyrer skribis:
>
>>Spanish shouldn't be a problem, all you need is iso 8859-1 for that.  I
>>wouldn't think that Esperanto would require special characters.
>
> I don't use iso 8859-1 (aka Latin1) anywhere... it is obsolete and
> problematic, I use UTF-8 everywhere.

You can use iso 8859-1 to either mean a character set or an encoding.  I meant
the character set.  It is also the first page of Unicode.

>>But in any case: ŝ is not in iso 8859-1.  There many odd diacritical marked
>>letters in the second page of Unicode (which is numbered '1' since the
>>first page is ´0´).  Yes, Bitstream Vera Sans is missing most of these
>>including: ŝ.
>
> The real problem is not it being on an encoding or not, the problem is having
> the gliph in the fonts.
>

>>There are probably many other free sans serif fonts available, but I have
>>no way of knowing which ones will have the characters you need without
>>checking.
>>
>>There are free URW fonts in both TT and Type1 which should have come with
>>your distro.
>>
>>I checked and URW Nimbus Sans L (Type1) does have: ŝ
>
> I'll check it to see how nice it plays with my eyes.
>

>>You can install the MicroSoft TT fonts:
>
> I don't want to use non-free software and non-free fonts.

Actually, neither of these fonts are free software, they were donated and
therefore, available for free use.  Now MicroSoft wants to be rather strange
about Arial.  But the EULA says that it is freely distributable as long as you
distribute it in its original form.

--
JRT