konqueror serious bug

Robin Rosenberg robin.rosenberg.lists at dewire.com
Tue Nov 9 22:03:33 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 21.34, Chris Gow wrote:
> On November 9, 2004 02:19 pm, Zé wrote:
> > im using kde-3.3.1.
> > In konqueror i tried to create a folder name /temp but appeared a window
> > dialog asking to change the name because there was a file named temp.
>
> I've tried that before.
>
> > This is absurd because konqueror is treating folders and files as being
> > the same thing.
>
> Uhh..no its not kde, but the OS. Try doing a mkdir in a shell; you'll get
> the same error. I have a general idea why this isn't possible in Unix, but
> I won't explain it here as I don't know the exact technical reasons why and
> I don't want to go about spreading incorrect information.
>
> > Of course that would be possible to have a file names temp and also a
> > folder named temp.
>
> Oh, just an FYI, Windows doesn't allow you to do this either. At least not
> Win2k with NTFS.

Windows Explorer is the cause of this confusion. MS invented a brillant way
of keeping users in the dark.

By default the Explorer shows files names without extension, e.g.
"nicepicture.jpg.exe" is shown as "nicepicture.jpg". Hence you can have a
file called foo.txt (displayed as foo), another called foo.obj (displayed as
"foo"), yet another one....  and a directory named just "foo" (also displayed
as "foo").

-- robin