KDEs fault tolerance!

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon May 31 15:10:44 BST 2004

On Monday 31 May 2004 14:49, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > > uninterruptible power supply. Because XFS aggressively caches
> > > in-transit data in RAM, improperly designed programs (those that don't
> > > take proper precautions when writing files to disk and there are quite
> > > a few of them) can lose a good deal of data if the system goes down
> > > unexpectedly.
> >
> > Oh dear!
> >
> > Thanks for digging up this information.
> > I will stay away from XFS in my future setups.
>
> Ok, this is taking the thread off topic, but - if your car breaks down, do
> you take it to a garage or do you yell at the city council to provide
> better roads?

I don't know if I understand your analogy (who is the city council?), but if I
take a Formula 1 car on a common street and it breaks down, I am to blame for
the wrong choice, especially as the car manufacturer designed it to be used
on racing tracks only.

Or on topic, if I loose data because I used a filesystem that should not be
used on system where unexpected shutdowns can happen, than the loss of data
due to such an unexpected system shutdown is clearly the result of my
misinterpretation of the filesystems capabilities, not the fault of either
XFS or the applications which had files opened.

Until the information posted by Rikard Johnels I assumed that XFS, being a
journaling filesystem, was resistant to unclean shutdowns, while it actually
meant that it uses its journal to provide high performance access to the file
data.

Cheer,
Kevin

--