KDE & Sound

Gerard Seibert gerard-seibert at rcn.com
Sun May 30 19:58:52 BST 2004

Obligatory system information:

FreeBSD rcn.com 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Feb 23 20:45:55
GMT 2004     root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

This is the only useful information I could gather from 'dmesg':

Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/snd_ess.ko" at 0xc0a0e0cc.
sbc0: <ESS ES1869 (Compaq OEM)> at port 0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b,0x220-0x22f
pcm0: <ESS 18xx DSP> on sbc0

My problem is that sound, primarily system notification, are usually not
reproduced correctly. In fact, they are usually quite distorted. I have tried
all sorts of different configurations, but without success. I have the latest
versions of "KDE" and "X" installed.

I am running these on an older Compaq Presario 5140 computer with an on-board
video chip - ESS1869.

Occasionally the sound will play correctly, but not often. In fact, it can
change right in the middle of a session.

I would appreciate any assistance that someone can afford me.

Thanks!

Gerard Seibert
gerard-seibert at rcn.com