KDEs fault tolerance!

Rikard Johnels rikjoh at norweb.se
Thu May 27 11:32:51 BST 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 17.15, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 May 2004 12:33, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > Something must have really stirred up the kernel yesterday, had a full
> > system lock. MagicKey was working tho, so I ran the usual sequence S-U-B
> > for sync, unmount drives, reboot. This saved me a lot of times on other
> > occasions.
> >
> > After I rebooted the machine and logged in KDE turned out to have
> > forsaken a lot of settings, such as theme, font settings, color settings,
> > taskbar appearance, and - maybe more annoying - keyboard shortcuts all
> > were back to defaults. Note, these are only the "back to default" changes
> > that struck me right at startup, I have no idea what else KDE might have
> > forgot I laboriously taught it like file type handling or whatever.
> >
> > The file system underneath is XFS btw.
>
> I experienced the same thing, also after a forced reset (APM standby locked
> the machine) and also with XFS (Kernel 2.4.20)
>
> XFS is a little bit weird anyway, after both resets I was forced into so
> far, it wouldn't mount the root file system but after repairing it from a
> Rescue CD, it automatically repairs all other mounted filesystems.
> Pretty useless.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Found the following info on XFS:

XFS is a filesystem with metadata journaling that is fully supported under
Gentoo Linux's xfs-sources kernel. It comes with a robust feature-set and is
optimized for scalability. We only recommend using this filesystem on Linux
systems with high-end SCSI and/or fibre channel storage and a uninterruptible
power supply. Because XFS aggressively caches in-transit data in RAM,
improperly designed programs (those that don't take proper precautions when
writing files to disk and there are quite a few of them) can lose a good deal
of data if the system goes down unexpectedly.

(as found on
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=4#doc_chap4 )

- --

         /Rikard

Rikard Johnels          email   : rikjoh at norweb.se
                        Web     : http://www.rikjoh.com
                        Mob     : +46 (0)735 05 51 01

< 15 28 DF 78 67 98 B2 16 1F D3 FD C5 59 D4 B6 78  46 1C EE 56 >