KDEs fault tolerance!

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Tue May 25 11:33:36 BST 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004 23:52:01 +0200
Rikard Johnels <rikjoh at norweb.se> wrote:

> On Monday 24 May 2004 21.36, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > I just had to reset my machine and now I can do ALL THE BLOODY APPEARANCE
> > SETTINGS AND KEY SHORTCUTS ***AGAIN***
> >
> > That's the 3rd time this happened and I'm PISSED AS HELL!
> >
> > What's the problem with the damn settings?
>
> Might help if you calmly explained more in detail what is amiss..?

Ummm... yes. "calm mode" wasn't available yesterday, 'scuse the fit.

Something must have really stirred up the kernel yesterday, had a full system
lock. MagicKey was working tho, so I ran the usual sequence S-U-B for sync,
unmount drives, reboot. This saved me a lot of times on other occasions.

After I rebooted the machine and logged in KDE turned out to have forsaken a
lot of settings, such as theme, font settings, color settings, taskbar
appearance, and - maybe more annoying - keyboard shortcuts all were back to
defaults. Note, these are only the "back to default" changes that struck me
right at startup, I have no idea what else KDE might have forgot I laboriously
taught it like file type handling or whatever.

The file system underneath is XFS btw.

Dex