DPMS activates after 30 and 40 minutes in Fedora Core 2

Jonathan Rawle jr36 at leicester.ac.uk
Mon May 24 14:29:04 BST 2004

Since upgrading to Fedora Core 2 with KDE 3.2.2, I have a very strange
problem. 30 minutes after logging in to KDE, DPMS activates, even if I am
typing away or using the mouse. The same thing happens 10 minutes later.
After that, it doesn't seem to happen again in the same KDE session.

I have tried logging in under a new user id with no settings, and the same
thing happens. But if I log in to Gnome, this problem doesn't occur. This
makes me certain it's a KDE-related problem (not a generic Xorg problem).

If I disable DPMS is xorg.conf, the screen still blanks after 30 minutes
(but without going into standby, of course).

My usual DPMS settings are standby after 60 minutes.

I have reported this on the Fedora list, and no-one can help. So I hope that
someone with a good knowledge of KDE might have seen something similar
before, or have some suggestion of what component is switching the display
off while I'm using the computer.

Many thanks,

Jonathan Rawle