getting a Sans font for Arial references in Konqueror

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Mon May 24 08:22:43 BST 2004

On Monday 17 May 2004 06:56 pm, Jim Horner wrote:
> > That <B> is closed off further down, at
> >
> >              "...  in Park City for the whole family. </B> "
>
> you are right, sorry I missed that.
>
> > so it seems that nested bold tags are mis-handled. All my tags are
>
> A small test page (below) renders fine.

For me too, for several levels of nesting.

> > guaranteed to be closed because I use a mark-up language and processor
>
> the <p> tags are not closed?

</P> tags are optional according to
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/text.html#h-9.3.1 and for ease of
use I do not use them either.

> > will, and I figure any w3c-compliant browser should be able to handle
>
> this is totally off topic but I would try validating the HTML at
> 	http://validator.w3.org/
> before stating konqueror is not w3c-compliant.

I tried, but the validator barfed on all kinds of valid stuff even as HTML
2.0 because I do not specify an Encoding (I think). Time to update my
generator though.

But, this does not answer why Konqueror barfs when no other browser does. I
extracted part of the page to
          http://www.bss.ab.ca/jerome/pickup/testkonqueror.html
to try to localize the problem. I have not been able to yet, but one thing
I did find is that if I put a <P> right after the <body> tag then the font
size and initial bold setting are ignored for the first three paragraphs.

And through all this I still cannot get Arial to map to a sans font, even
after diddling /etc/fonts/local.conf.