KDE administration for multiple users

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon May 17 16:19:11 BST 2004

On Monday 17 May 2004 16:54, Gray, Tim wrote:
> Ok so my /etc/skel should be empty right now and I need to drop the .kde
> directory in there or jsut the contents of the .kde file and then go
> editing and hunting from there?

the .kde directory

> I dont care about app defaults, I just want to eliminate the user needing
> to choose anything when they first log-in. I want kde to default to no
> eye-candy, low-processor settings and a default theme (redmond to help fool
> the whiney users) and then never ever care about my default design again.
>
> will what is in /etc/skel force changes on the user every single time?

The contents of /etc/skel are copied into the users directory when a user
account is created.

If your users already exists, you can affect the default configuration of all
apps.

KDE can use a list of directories where it looks for configuration files and
data.

By default the list implicitly contains the KDE install prefix and the user's
home directory + .kde
I think the admin documentation has a section on the KDEDIRS envorinment
variable.

Configuration files are read from all directories in the list and merged, so
that more "local" values override more "global" ones, unless the global one
prohibits overwriting (should also be in the admin docs)

You can modify the installed default files, overwrite them with the ones you
created for the user or add an additional directory "between" prefix
directory and user directory and store the settings there.

kiosktool http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=12028
should help you with that.

Cheers,
Kevin