Adding non-X tools to file associations

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun May 16 18:43:07 BST 2004

On Saturday 15 May 2004 17:25, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Am Saturday 15 May 2004 16:40 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > On Saturday 15 May 2004 15:50, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am running the KDE 3.2.0 packages for Debian 3.0. I found that when I
> > > generate a vorbis file with oggenc, kaboole and noatun crash both in
> > > the middle of playing the sound (noatun says noatun stopped, kaboodle
> > > simply exits).
> > >
> > > I can play these files easily with ogg123. So I addded ogg123 to the
> > > file associations for the vorbis MIME type, which works fine. The fact
> > > that ogg123 does not open a window makes the miniicon hopping up and
> > > down although ogg123 already finished. Can I avoid that somehow?
> >
> > You can put this into the application's .desktop file
> >

> > X-KDE-StartupNotify=true#

The # at the end shouldn't be there, sorry.

> Thanks for the quick answer. I am not quite sure where to put the .desktop
> file, would I create it in /usr/share/applications/kde/ogg123.desktop (I
> found there an noatun.desktop, though I didn't find a ogg123.desktop)?

Most packages for commandline applications don't create .desktop files for
themselves.
You can create one using the context menu of the desktop or by creating a menu
entry in the KMenu and then move the newly created .desktop file into the
location you found noatun.desktop.

Cheers,
Kevin

--