getting a Sans font for Arial references in Konqueror

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun May 16 06:33:17 BST 2004

Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> In Konqueror (KDE 3.2.1), what do I have to do to have text marked with
> FONT FACE="Arial" as a sans-serif font like FireFox and others do? Konq
> uses the standard font which I have set to a serif font because that's
> what all other browsers use for their "standard" font.

IIUC, you have an HTML (or some other) web page that is slightly broken --
it specifies: "Arial" but does not also include: "Sans-serif" as the last
item in the list.  And, you don't have: "Arial" installed.

I presume that FireFox has some defaults to fix a broken web page, but KDE
relies on FontConfig for this.

The cure for this is about the same as it was when we used Xft except that
the file is now XML.

You need to set this up in the: "/etc/fonts/local.conf":

	<match target="pattern">
		<test qual="any" name="family">
			<string>arial</string>
		</test>
		<edit name="family" mode="assign">
			<string>sans-serif</string>
		</edit>
	</match>

or if you want to assign it to a specific font, use that in place of:
"sans-serif".  If you use the above, you should then be able to use the
"Sans serif" selection in Konqueror's Fonts configuration dialog to set the
font.

Add this just before:

</fontconfig>

That is, the file must have that as the last line because it is XML and
must end with the closing tag.

--
JRT