Kmail Pop3 filter not deleting from server

David P James dpjames at rogers.com
Sat May 15 05:45:51 BST 2004

On Fri 14 May 2004 20:11, jcwebpost wrote:
> I have Kmail 1.6 configured with a pop filter to delete mail from the
> server whenever email contains a X-Spam-Flag that equals YES. Yet,
> the mail is downloaded from the server to my computer anyway. Am I
> understanding the feature wrong? Shouldn't it be deleting the mail on
> the server instead of downloading it?

Settings | Configure KMail --> Network | Receiving

Select the account and Modify. Check the setting labelled "Filter
messages..." and set that to something appropriate (eg, 2000 bytes I
guess)

Using this to delete spam really isn't worth it since you have to
download the headers anyway - if a message is more than 2000 bytes the
headers get downloaded. If it turns out not to be spam the whole
message, including the headers, gets downloaded, so you're not really
ahead bandwidth wise. I only use it against viruses, which are usually
fairly large (40+kB).

Cheers,
--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario
ICQ: #42891899, Jabber: davidpjames at jabber.org

If you've lost something, you had to lose it, not loose it.