File associations disappear

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun May 9 05:55:02 BST 2004

Ze wrote:
> I use Mandrake10.0 Official with kde3.2.0
> For example i associate html to open with firefox, passed some time all the
> associations i made simply disappear.
> How is this possible?!
>
> The associations disapear after for example i intall a rpm, and when i change
> the menus.
>
> Any help?

A possible solution:

If you associate a MIME type with an application for which there is both an
old 'desktop' file somewhere in: "$KDEDIR/share/applnk/ ... " and a new
'desktop' file in: "$KDEDIR/share/applications/kde/" then strange things
sometimes happen.  The solution is to delete the old 'desktop' file.

This can also happen with your local 'desktop' files
"$HOME/.kde/share/applnk/ ... /*.desktop" and
"$HOME/.local/share/applications/kde-*.desktop

--
JRT