JavaScript at Bank Web Site

Andrew Barr barr.156 at osu.edu
Sat May 8 16:57:42 BST 2004

Hey all--

I'm having a problem with my bank's web site
(https://onlinebanking.huntington.com/). As with most sites of this
type, it makes extensive use of JavaScript. After I enter my login name
and password, pressing enter or clicking 'Login' does nothing. This
smells like a bug to me, but I was leery of filing a bug report because
I don't know enough about what's going on here to be complete and
succinct. The gzip'ed page is attached (I compressed it as not to set
off any HTML e-mail filters). I am using KDE 3.2.2 on Fedora Core 1.

I have looked at the JavaScript code a little bit, and I noticed the
function CheckBrowser. I tried using the browser ID setting to set it as
IE 6 and that evidently activated IE-specific JavaScript: the bug icon
popped up in the lower-right-hand corner. Setting it to Netscape 4.76
makes no overt change in the behavior of the page (but the bug icon does
go away).

Starting Konqueror from the command line doesn't reveal anything, but
debug output is probably disabled (I'm using RPMs). The JavaScript
console doesn't show anything, but turning on Report Errors causes this
to show every time a character is typed in the login field:

https://onlinebanking.huntington.com/login.asp line 20:
TypeError: value undefined (result of expression
window.top.sidebar.checkKey) is not an object. Cannot be called.

The same occurrs with the password field. Pressing login after entering
my information yeilds this:

https://onlinebanking.huntington.com/login.asp line 15:
TypeError: value undefined (result of expression
window.top.sidebar.strValidate) is not an object. Cannot be called.

Thoughts/ideas/tips/suggestions, anyone?

--
Andrew Barr

/usr/games/fortune says:
Flattery is like cologne -- to be smelled, but not swallowed.
		-- Josh Billings