Making fortunes work in a signature script

Chris cpollock at earthlink.net
Thu May 6 03:26:16 BST 2004

I've got a signature script, posted below, that works fine except for the
fact that it refuses to include a fortune.  I've tried all different
entries, including adding the path to fortunes, and it just won't post it.
The strange thing is that if I run the script from the CLI the fortune is
posted, just not when ran as a command in Kmail.  The is Kmail 1.4.3, KDE
3.0.3 on Mandrake 9.0.

#!/bin/bash
echo "Regards"
echo "Chris"
echo "A 100% Microsoft Free Computer"
echo "Registered Linux User 283774 http://counter.li.org"
STR=$(uptime)
TIME=${STR% user}
RESULT=${TIME%}
echo $RESULT
fortune MS-FORTUNES
if [ -p /tmp/xmms-info ] ; then echo "The current tune is $( grep Title:
/tmp/xmms-info | awk -F': ' '{print $2}' )"
fi

When a script that only contains these two lines Kmail errors out with:

#!/bin/bash
fortune /usr/share/games/fortunes/law

Failed to execute signature script
/home/chris/./sig2 > /tmp/kde-chris/kmailjrjKEa.tmp:
Unknown error 127

Both scripts run perfectly from the CLI showing the sig and fortune, and in
the case of the 2 line file, just the fortune.  The file in /tmp/kde-chris
is not created when the first script file is ran and there are no errors
shown.

Anyone have any ideas?  I've posted this in both Mandrake lists and though
I've had some suggestions, nothing so far has solved the problem.

Thanks
Chris

--
Regards
Chris
A 100% Microsoft Free Computer
Registered Linux User 283774 http://counter.li.org
9:14pm up 29 days, 3:52, 1 user, load average: 0.11, 0.40, 0.45
The current tune is ZZ Top - Legs