KDE audio with ALSA and Arts, how?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat May 1 17:09:28 BST 2004

kde at schertell.com wrote:
> Can someone please explain how to get KDE 3.2.2 to use alsa?  I've got a 2.6.5
> kernel and alsa is running but doesn't really work with KDE.  Here are some
> clues:
>
> 1) The test sound works well from the control center, but I don't hear the KDE
> startup sound or any other KDE sounds.
>
> 2) JuK sounds a bit "garbled" when set to use arts output (unlistenable).
>
> 3) JuK produces no sound and skips to the next track when set to use GStreamer
> output.
>
> Help please!  I don't understand how KDE and arts and oss and gstreamer and
> alsa are supposed to all work together ?!  Mostly, I just want to get JuK
> sounding okay again.
>
> If you have any clues at all, please enlighten me!

I'm not sure of your problem.

IIUC, you must have the latest version of ALSA to use with the new Kernel.
  Do you have ALSA 1.0.4?  If not, upgrading ALSA is the first thing that I
would suggest.

There was a bug in KDE that you had to select ALSA in the Sound System KCM.
    I don't know if that is still necessary, but I would then try that as well.

--
JRT