K Menu Files

Rainer Wirtz rainer.wirtz at gmx.de
Sat Mar 27 16:43:30 GMT 2004

Am Samstag, 27. März 2004 16:47 schrieb Sebastiano Pomata:

> > So if you copy the local modifications to the new user, the menu
> > should be the same for both users.
>
> In .local/share I have only "applications" directory, that contains 3 rc
> files (for kgpg and two other apps), but nothing related to menu.... Can
> you explain me what should I do to copy the menu from one user to
> another?

The menu system is in a state of transition right now to satisfy the new
xdg-standard as defined on freedesktop.org.
1. Global menus after the new system are defined by XML files in
$KDEDIR/etc/xdg/menus and use *.desktop files in $KDEDIR/share/applications.
2. Global menu-entries after the old system are in $KDEDIR/share/applnk.
3. Local (per user) entries are in $KDEHOME/share/applnk.
4. There are *.desktop files under $HOME/.local which are probably used for
per-user settings after the new system (don't know exactly how).

All this is merged somehow by the kmenu code.

To copy the per-user settings to another user, it should be enough to copy
$KDEHOME/share/applnk (normally $HOME/.kde/...) and $HOME/.local.

HTH.

Rainer