Printing via Konqueror

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Mar 19 17:45:05 GMT 2004

Des Dougan wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 19:29, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Des Dougan wrote:
>>
>>>In that other OS, I can select files, right click and select "Print"
>>>(with the default application). Can I do this in Konq? I can't see a
>>>menu option to allow me to do this.
>>
>>AFAIK, you can't do that in *NIX.
>>
>>It might be possible for you to set it up if (and only if) your application
>>will print a file using the command line.  But, this would be for each
>>application, there is no general way to do it.
>>
>>If the application will print from the command line you need to add the
>>command to the: 'desktop' file like it is for: "Eject":
>>
>>	[Desktop Action Eject]
>>	Exec=/usr/bin/eject /dev/hdc
>>	Name=Eject
>>
>>	[Desktop Entry]
>>	Actions=Eject
>>
>>So it would be something like this in the 'desktop' file for the menu:
>>
>>	[Desktop Action Print]
>>	Exec="/usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/swriter" -p %F
>>	Name=Print
>>
>>	[Desktop Entry]
>>	Actions=Print
>>
>>Where the: "Exec" needs to be the correct command for your application.
>>This is for OpenOffice Writer.  I haven't tried this but it should work.
>

> James,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I'd like to try your suggestion (OOo and Acrobat
> are the two applications I'd most use this for); however, I have no
> "desktop" file that I can find in my KDE environment, nor can I find a
> reference in the online help. If you're referring to the *.desktop
> config files, I don't have one that covers the Eject command

That is just an example of how to add a command.  The Eject command is in
your CD ROM icon: "*.desktop" file.  You should be able to add any command
you want to a "*.desktop" file using the same form.

> (I'm running SuSE 9, if that has an impact).

You need to find the menu "*.desktop" file for the application that you
want to add the print "Action" to.  E.G for OpenOffice writer it should be:

	$HOME/.kde/share/applnk/OpenOffice.org 1.1.0/writer.desktop

for AAR, it should be:

	$KDEDIR/share/applnk/Office/acroread.desktop

--
JRT