mp3-playback from a network-drive

Janne Ojaniemi janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi
Sat Mar 13 13:36:36 GMT 2004

I don't know whether this has been discussed already, but here it goes....

I'm having some issues with my mp3-playback. I have all my mp3's on my
W2K-machine. My mp3-folder is being shared, and I can access it without any
issues using smb:// in Konqueror. But when I try to play back any of the
mp3's, I get any of the following problems:

1) If I try to open the file with an application, nothing happens. I have
tried with three different apps and here's what happens:

Amarok: Nothing. The app is loaded, and it displays the file, but it doesn't
play it. Clicking play doesn't do anything.

XMMS: same thing as with Amarok

Kaffeine: It says "Xine-Error: No Input Plugin"

2) If I download the file (I wouldn't normally do that (too inconvenient), but
I gave it a shot), it starts to download the file, but as it reaches the end,
it gets slower and slower, until it stalls. I have to manually stop the
download, and then I have to rename the downloaded file (it has
a .part-extension), and it seems to work. But as you can see, it's not
working like it should.

Any ides on how to fix this?