Moving temp KDE3.2 build to permanent location

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Mar 9 21:51:32 GMT 2004

Job 317 wrote:
> On  8-Mar-2004 02:24:31 +0100, you wrote:
>
>>Job 317 wrote:
>>
>>>Alles,
>>>
>>>I am very pleased with KDE3.2 on ReHat 9 and would like to move
>
> it's
>
>>>location to a permanent location on my system.
>>>
>>>Currently it resides in /root/kde3.2 and I have updated my .bashrc
>
> with
>
>>>the environment variables pointing to this location as directed in
>
> the
>
>>>3.2 documentation.
>>>
>>>Rather than go through a complete rebuild can I simply move
>
> everything
>
>>>over and replace my system's KDE 3.1.4 install? I really hate
>
> wasting
>
>>>the space on my HD even though I seem to have plenty. Plus I don't
>>>intend to use the 3.1.4 stuff anymore anyway.
>>
>>No, you can't just move the stuff.  You need to reconfigure your
>
> source
>
>>tree with the prefix you want (either "/usr" or "/usr/kde3" would be
>>appropriate on a RedHat system) and rebuild and reinstall..
>>

> O.K. I'm using konstruct. Is that o.k.?
>

>>However, this will not recompile anything, it will just relink for the
>
> new
>
>>prefix and it won't take nearly as long.
>>
>>Also, you will probably want to uninstall 3.1.4 first.
>

> O.K. Why? As long as I don't rely on any future rpm updates (RH9 support
> is ending soon anyway) won't the new build/configuration just wrote over
> the old stuff?

No, some of the old stuff will be older versions of libraries.  This
probably wouldn't matter if you uninstall of the 'devel' packages.  But, it
can cause problems to have old stuff still on your system.

> Also, How? Just 'rpm -e kde*' ?

You can do that, but you need to use the option: "--allmatches":

	rpm -e kde* --allmatches

This is considered somewhat risky.  You can also get a list of the packages
with:

	rpm -qa |grep kde

and uninstall them individually with: "--nodeps".

--
JRT