Continuing problem (not) running kde3 from kdm

Steve King stevenking66 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 21:23:28 GMT 2004

>> If I log on through kdm, instead of getting the desktop I get what I
>> think is an xterm window.

> This is a common problem apparently caused by a misunderstanding of what
> happens after you login in the KDM GUI login dialog.
>
> What happens, and absolutely all that happens, is that an: "Xsession"
> script is called.  It is called just as if you called it with a command:
>
>         Xsession <session type>
>
> where "<session type>" is the *exact* string that you selected in the
> dialog list box: "Session type".  KDM does not call: "~/.xsession" and
> using an: "~/.xsession" script is *NOT* the proper way to specify your
> desktop with KDM.
>
> So, the problem is that your: "Xsession" script is running (otherwise you
> wouldn't get any X session at all) but it is failing to execute: "startkde".

I have 2 Xsession files:

/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/Xsession

If when I am in that xterm(?) window, I type Xsession, then I get file not
found. If type the full path then sure enough up comes KDE. This happens
without me passing an argument to it. The 2 scripts seem to do something
slightly differently because the background behaves slightly differently just
before my desktop shows up.

Have I maybe got something missing that tells kdm where to find Xsession?
Remember that if my chooser is xdm, then KDE comes up OK; I imagine that is
running the /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession? But who knows...

By the way, the "xterm" window is always named after the session I chose in
kdm, eg "kde3", "/opt/kde3/bin/startkde", or whatever, so that parameter is
getting picked up by kdm in some way.

Thanks again for any help.

Steve