using volume (and other) keyboard buttons

Joseph jghobrial at uh.edu
Fri Mar 5 16:32:31 GMT 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Des Dougan wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 04:00, David T-G wrote:
> > Hi, all --
> >
> > I have a new e-machines desktop (hey, it was the cheapest thing we could
> > find! :-) whose keyboard has extra Windows buttons on it for volume, CD
> > control, and various aps.
> >
> > Can I map those so that they change my system volume (including mute) and
> > perhaps even fire off selected programs (probably via wrappers)?  I
> > imagine how I could get the key sequence (though I haven't tired it yet,
> > and I don't know if they will map like regular or function keys), but
> > then making thoses sequences execute KDE functions is beyond me.
>
> You should also try acme (search on rpmfind.net) - it has a GUI
> interface to map buttons to various functions. Works well.

Or

Create a bin directory in your home directory if you don't already have
one. Write a script to do what you want and stick it in the bin directory
and chmod the script to 700.

Mine are

~/bin/VOLUP
~/bin/VOLDOWN
~/bin/VOLMUTE

I do xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap on startup of kde so that my multimedia keys are
mapped to F13, F14, and F15 respectively.

Use xev to figure out what mappings are appropriate.

I added 3 menu items to kde using the menu editor. I also disabled "Enable
launch feedback" for each of the items. Add the shortcut key as
appropriate when adding items.

In my scripts I use amixer to set the volume.

It is kind of strange that kmixer doesn't have the ability to map keys to
volume up, down, or mute. I think I remember it being somewhere, but the
settings were never permanent: if you logged out and logged back in the
settings went away.

Oh well.

--
Thanks,