Tuning KDE 3.2

Rashid N. Achilov shelton at sentry.granch.ru
Wed Mar 3 11:37:02 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 17:12, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > 1. In home directory appear dirs .fonts, .config, .local. Why it appeared
> > in root of home directory, not $KDEHOME? ($KDEHOME set).
>
> These are new cross-desktop standards. See e.g.
> http://freedesktop.org/Standards/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html

Standard is well. But when I'd like keep old behavior, can I do it?

> > 3. KMenuEdit insist on creating .config and .local directories to keeping
> > changed menu elements, but these changing do not appear in menu! Why? Even
> > running kbuildsycoca manually.
>
> Which applications.menu files do you have? Do these files make reference to
> applications-kmenuedit.menu ?

A simply example: No .local and .config directories. Start KMenuEdit and
change icon on one menu element (pico in Editors submenu). Save
configuration. After saving, changes should be visible immediately, aren't
you? But I as before see pico without any icons, see empty .config (with one
empty "menu" subdir) directory and .local/share/applications/kde-pico.desktop
file. kbuildsycoca works, timestamps on ksycoca and ksycocastamp were
chagned.

> > 4. Where keeping desktop positions now? In KDE 3.1.x desktop icons
> > positions were kept in .directory file in $HOME/Desktop, where it now?
>
> They are now stored in $KDEHOME/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositions but
> positions present in $HOME/Desktop/.directory are still being read.

Yes, here is it! Thank you.

One more question: KMail starts automatically, in spite of setting "start with
empty session". It missed in Autostart, of course. Where keep list of
programs, which should start automatically next login?
--
   With Best Regards.
   Rashid N. Achilov (RNA1-RIPE), Web: http://granch.ru/~shelton