KDE 3.3 ALPHA from CVS...what next?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Jun 20 22:16:07 BST 2004

Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently compiling KDE 3.3.0 ALPHA and everything
> is OK sofar :)
>
> I'm not very familiar with cvs though and I was
> wondering what to do when new versions come out. I
> understand that within the branch that I checked out I
> can do updates with 'cvs up'; But what when the whole
> branch is relabeled to another version, say ...BETA?
> Is there a way to update, or does it mean a complete
> new checkout of this branch. I ask because I don't
> want to use to much bandwith if it can be avoided.

You use the command:

cvs up -r<tag>

Where tag is what you want to update to.

When this version is released, the tag will be: KDE_3_3_BRANCH, but until then
you must use the tag for what you want to upgrade to.

You can check here:

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdelibs/

at the bottom of the page to see which tags are available.  That is, when:

	KDE_3_3_0_ALPHA_2

is available, it will be listed there and you can use it.  If you wish to follow
the development of the new release, you can use:

	HEAD

But, this will not always compile and if it does, it will not always work.

--
JRT