Getting stuck while alt-tabbing

Daniel Klein bringa at gmx.at
Sat Jun 19 03:23:37 BST 2004

Hello all,

I am using KDE 3.2.2 (distro is Debian / unstable) and I've had a very
strange thing happen to me two times today already: While changing
between tasks with alt+tab, I got stuck in the change tasks box. Meaning
I released alt+tab, but instead of the expected behaviour of bringing
the currently selected task to the foreground, nothing happened. All
keyboard input was ignored (I could not even toggle numlock anymore),
however, mouse still worked with some restrictions: I could click at
tasks in that little box (which would move the black frame around their
icon and do nothing else), I could NOT use the mouse to interact with
ANY open windows I saw on the screen, but I COULD use the mouse to bring
up the panel (I autohide it immediately). On the panel, I could open
stuff like a new konsole, but once opened I could still not interact
with it. Ctrl+alt+F1-F6 didn't help me either, as all keyboard input was
ignored. The only way I found to get out of that trap was to open the
'start' (if you forgive me for calling it like that :P) menu and
selecting log out. Doing that twice closed KDE and gave me back keyboard
control.

This happened to me twice today and once before.. I put it down under
freak bug that happens once in a blue moon before, but two times a day
is a bit taxing (fortunately I didn't lose anything really important due
to not being able to save before closing all KDE apps). I have NOT been
able to reproduce this bug reliably, and being somewhat of a developer
myself I know how hard this would make it to go about hunting it down.
This is also, partly, why I post here instead of trying to find the
proper way to report a bug - I'm interested in hearing if this happened
to anyone else, if anyone might already have a hunch as to where this
could be caused.. or if you think I should go ahead and file a bug.

Daniel