Desktop Icons not staying in their place

Chad Robinson crj at lucubration.com
Tue Jun 8 20:24:51 BST 2004

Jeremy Cohoe wrote:

>  From the Desktop, I move my icons around into the formation that I
> would like them to stay in, then I press 'Align To Grid'. Once they are
> aligned to the grid, I either ctrl+alt+backspace or right click and
> press "Logout".
>
> The problem is that MOST of the icons stay where I place them, but 2 of
> the icons show up in weird places on the desktop the next time I startup
> KDE.

I've been frustrated myself about this for a long time, but I doubt it will be
changed soon. There are a number of "bug" reports about kdesktop's icon
spacing and alignment. See this article for a tidbit:

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/view/26

As you can see, this was on a TODO list since July of last year. If I knew
what the heck I was doing I'd do it myself, but I don't, so I guess we'll have
to wait.

Regards,
Chad