UTF-8 and KMail

Alexander Nordström alexander.nordstromNOSPAM at tpg.com.au
Tue Jun 8 11:55:58 BST 2004

On Tuesday, 8 Jun 2004 07:44, Pupeno wrote:
> On Monday June 7 2004 19:40, Robin Rosenberg wrote:
> > On Monday 07 June 2004 20.03, Pupeno wrote:
> > > I'm having trouble with kmail when displaying characters like
> > > "áéíóúñàèìòùâêîôûĝĉĵ" in the incomming mail.
> > > But I'm not yet sure if it is kmail composer when sending the mails or
> > > kmail when showing the mail.
> >
> > Probably the font.
>
> But I see it ok when composing and in other cases (like a text editor, like
> kwrite), I only see it wrongly when watching it with kmail, and now that
> I'm repling, it composed the mail wrongly... exactly like when a utf-8 char
> was opened as latin1 (working with utf-8 text files, I know what I'm
> talking about).

So you see multiple characters representing a single one, as you would in that
case, not boxes, I take it. That would rule out a problem with the typeface,
though that was a reasonable suggestion.

For your information, it looked alright here in your first message and Robin's
reply, but not in your second, which would indicate that you have a problem
in the reading, not composing.

When viewing e-mails, what do you have checked in the "Set encoding" submenu
under the "View" menu? Viewing a UTF-8 message while having the encoding
forcibly set to another encoding would cause the problem you seem to
describe. "Auto" works for me, but in case it doesn't, see if forcing UTF-8
works.

--
Alex Nordstrom