KMail is a good... BUG

Alexander Nordström alexander.nordstromNOSPAM at tpg.com.au
Tue Jun 8 11:44:43 BST 2004

On Tuesday, 8 Jun 2004 10:43, Ze wrote:

> With kmail, html emails arent well displayed and the major of times the
> Sender,Date and Subject appear as UNKNOWN.
> How is this possible!?!

First off, you'd be strongly advised to moderate your tone and punctuation on
the list. Please consider:

- Most of the readers of this list are not developers; complaining to users do
not solve any perceived or real problems in the development
- KDE is free software, consider whether you are in a position to complain
- Nobody here knows you or your skill level; yelling at people for trying to
rule out basics first is completely unwarranted
- Hard disks do fill up, and the question of whether you have ensured this is
not the problem in your case is not something to be indignant about

Now, of course, HTML e-mail is evil and should not be used. Unfortunately, a
lot of clients are configured to send it by default, so it's hard to avoid
receiving them (the Mozillazine forums, which you mention, however, I
believe, let you choose plain text). I can tell you as much as KMail is not
broken here, so it's either a downstream Mandrake problem or, more likely, a
problem with your configuration or the mails you are trying to read.

On that note, would you care to post the entire message source of one of the
e-mails with which you're having trouble? Of course, use your common sense
and edit out any parts that you do not wish posted here, but please state
which changes you have made.

Also, more information is needed, at least the following:

- What method do you use to retrieve your messages? POP? IMAP?
- What filters (if any) are in effect?
- Do you or your postmaster use any other filtering software?
- Mailbox or maildir?

In line with this, does the problem appear irrespective of which e-mail
account you use?

As David James asked, do you have a separate /tmp partition? You mention you
have 1 GiB left in /, but that obviously doesn't matter if /tmp is a
separate, full partition.

--
Alex Nordstrom