Spyware search/destroy for Linux?

daniel danstemporaryaccount at yahoo.ca
Fri Jun 4 00:03:17 BST 2004

On June 3, 2004 06:20 pm, Jim Bailey wrote:
> Is there a spyware search/destroy for Linux?  I could neither contact
> Spybot nor find anything on Linux at their web-site.
>
> I'm using Mandrake 9.2, KDE 3.1.3, Konqueror 3.1.4, Kmail 1.5.3

short answer:

  $ top

long answer:

i've never heard of spyware for linux.  i mean, to get it, (a) there'd have to
be a great deal of interest by the buttholes who create it.  (b) there'd have
to be a LOT of people running their desktop boxes as root (VERY BAD) (c) all
linux boxes would have to be very similar (this is just not the case)

but if you're wondering if anything is "phoning home" just run "top" or
"netstat" or install a firewall with logging on the outgoing packets.

--
zathras die, but zathras die for cause.
maybe stop great war. maybe zathras great hero.