update KDE with QT 3.3

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Jun 1 21:07:46 BST 2004

AmanS Alam wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am Translator of Punjabi Lang. Please Help me. Old QT Lib 3.1 is not
> support the rendering of Punjabi. Now I download the QT 3.3 and try to
> compile the QT.

Be sure to get Qt-3.3.2:

ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-free-3.3.2.tar.bz2

> 1) How to update the Lib for KDE 3.1 for the Fedora core 1 ?

Just install it in the standard location: "/usr/local/qt-3.3.2/".

Then find where: QTDIR is being set and change it.

Find where the " ... /qt*/bin" directory is being added to the PATH and
change it.

Add: "/usr/local/qt-3.3" to your: "/etc/ld.so.conf" file.  This should be
just above the entry for qt-3.1.  As root, execute "ldconfig".

Then build it.  DO NOT "make install", it is just built in place and left
there.  Follow instructions -- you will normally have a long 'configure'
command:

./configure -system-zlib -qt-gif -system-libpng -system-libjpeg \
-system-libmng -thread -no-xinerama -no-g++-exceptions

If you have any thing in locations other than those that Qt expects, you
man need to add to this -- see the Qt instructions.

> 2) Is there any need to recompile the KDE again. If Yes, How ?

You will need to build aRts and KDE again.  Actually this will be mostly
relinking.  You need to remove the: config.cache file in each module and
start by running 'configure' and make sure that if finds the correct Qt
version.  Make should then do it automatically since the new Qt will have a
newer date.

--
JRT