KDE & Sound

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Jun 1 02:46:37 BST 2004

Gerard Seibert wrote:
> Obligatory system information:
>
> FreeBSD rcn.com 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Feb 23 20:45:55
> GMT 2004     root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> This is the only useful information I could gather from 'dmesg':
>
> Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/snd_ess.ko" at 0xc0a0e0cc.
> sbc0: <ESS ES1869 (Compaq OEM)> at port 0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b,0x220-0x22f
> pcm0: <ESS 18xx DSP> on sbc0
>
> My problem is that sound, primarily system notification, are usually not
> reproduced correctly. In fact, they are usually quite distorted. I have tried
> all sorts of different configurations, but without success. I have the latest
> versions of "KDE" and "X" installed.
>
> I am running these on an older Compaq Presario 5140 computer with an on-board
> video chip - ESS1869.
>
> Occasionally the sound will play correctly, but not often. In fact, it can
> change right in the middle of a session.
>
> I would appreciate any assistance that someone can afford me.

This is probably a problem with your sound set up.  But, first if you are
using ALSA sound, select that manually in the Control Center: "Sound &
Multimedia -> Sound System".  Under the: "Hardware" tab: "Select the audio
device".

Are you using an OSS or an ALSA driver for your sound card?

If you are using ALSA, check your: /etc/modules.conf" file.

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=ESS+Technology&card=ES18xx&chip=ES18xx&module=es18xx

         # ALSA portion
         alias char-major-116 snd
         alias snd-card-0 snd-es18xx