Using external data-files in programs

Erlend Hamberg ehamberg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 17:42:42 BST 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:20:07 +0200, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> Not sure if I understood you right.
> You ask about how to manage standard data files of an application, for example
> icons, etc.

If I make a small SDL/OpenGL program using external data files for
textures and music, zip it and send it to my friends those running
Windows can just unzip it and double-click the executable to run it. But
those using Linux with KDE, or Gnome for that sake, has to open a
terminal-emulator and 'cd' to the dir containing the executable file and
then run it by typing './program' and pressing enter. If they
double-click it in konqueror the program can't find the files in
'data/'.

> Another option is to start a wrapper script instead of the real application
> executable and have the wrapper script switch the workign directory so that
> paths to resources can be relative.

How can I find out where the executable is located then?