kppp and modem with usb<->serial adapter

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jul 23 23:13:25 BST 2004

Dani Belz wrote:
> What is DTR?

It is the name of one of the pins in the RS-232 connector -- Data Terminal
Ready.  If you are using hardware flow control, the Modem might expect to see a
true signal on this pin.

> And why does my debian dialing tool work? This makes a
> /usr/sbin/pppd call $PROVIDER
> where $PROVIDER is a file in /etc/ppp/peers and looks like that:
> -----<snip>-----
> hide-password
> noauth
> connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/1und1"
> debug
> /dev/modem
> 230400
> defaultroute
> noipdefault
> user "1und1/XXXXXXXXXXXXXX at online.de"
> remotename 1und1
> ipparam 1und1

The PPP script probably works because it is slightly different than the script
that KPPP uses.  You can edit the script in KPPP to match and see if that works.

--
JRT