problems starting kde apps as root

Joerg Stadermann jstadermann at gmxpro.de
Thu Jul 8 08:39:22 BST 2004

Hi,

I noticed a strange problem with kde 3.2.3 (cvs KDE_3_2_BRANCH). I
can't run many kde apps as root. Let's say I do kdesu kfmclient
openProfile filemanagement, the filemanager starts ok, but when I
try to open a document I get the message "kdeinit:ca't start
xyz". On further investigationI found that I can't start kde as
root. I get the root window, artsd is starting, but no desktop
and no kicker. It's possible though to start apps with sudo.

Similar problems are reported in comp.windows.x.kde

Any ideas?

Joerg
--
NO to Software Patents - http://www.ffii.org