Fonts - CID / xinitrc missing

Adrian adriand at squirrel.com.au
Mon Jul 5 11:20:08 BST 2004

Howdy

First time looking at running KDE, so bare wif me please :>

Running FreeBSD 5.2.1 R.
cvsup run over - cvs/ports/src

Installed - XFree86 4.4.0 - Via Xfree86 Xinstall.sh
Installed - KDE 3.2.3 - /usr/ports/x11/kde3 - make install clean

When I type in startx I've finding it jumps to some type of screen with just a shell running. If I type: startkde in there, KDE will start. But, this login shell stays there and I can only min. it. Errors that pop up in this shell.

QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used. (!! KDE is a gui last time i looked)

Few more errors.

Lauched ok, pid = 527
Pretty much all apps work fine. Sound doesn't, but not concerened atm, breif look at that and just need to add in some stuff to loader.conf

Also getting a: Could not init font path element /usr/X11RB/../CID/, removing from list etc.

Viewing log in /var/log seems to suggest everything else is loading fine.

I have no .xinitrc file located in my home dir which says to me, thats a problem.

I have created a user after installing kde 3.2.3 and finding that I still don't get a .xinitrc file in my home dir.

Other items tried - reinstall of kde, portupgrade -f kde\* , numerous readings of sites...RTFM bout 5 times, (prolly missed something)

Debating wether to look at deinstall of kde and reinstall of XFree86 , then reinstall kde again after /usr/ports/distfiles && rm -r ./*

Failing that, thinking if a wipe and starting again, since I have bugger all running on it.

Before i go through that again, thought I'd ask.

Cheers

Willing to try anything for a hamburger!!

Nergle