What does "mv: overwrite `.deps/kopetechatwindow.Plo', overriding mode 0644?" mean?

Richard Fletcher richard at going2.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 20:17:43 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 01:30, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> Hello, Everyone :)
> I sometimes get the above message when compiling KDE from the CVS.  The
> problem is that it is a prompt, in the middle of running "make", that
> waits for an answer, and will not proceed until it gets one.  My
> questions are these:
> 1. How do I prevent this from happening?
> 2. What is the cause?
> 3. If it happens, what is the correct answer, y or n?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help :)
> Steven P. Ulrick

For some reason you are being asked to confirm the moving of a file which will
overwrite another file. I suspect one of /etc/profile ~/.profile /etc/bashrc
or ~/.bashrc are responsible for this.

They will probably be doing something to the mv command, to undo this type

alias mv="mv -f"
and mv will no longer ask for confirmation

the 0644 refers to permissions of the file being written, refer to "man chmod"

the correct answer will always be yes and that is what this command will
provide. Should you want this behavior permanently put it into ~/.bashrc

--
Richard Fletcher, Sheffield, UK.