KDE configuration problems.

Adam Fabian afabian at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Jan 13 00:06:55 GMT 2004

Here's what I get when I run startkde: (questions will follow):

turingmachine: {2} startkde
startkde: Starting up...
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
kbuildsycoca running...
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: library=kcm_keyboard:
file=/usr/pkg/lib/kde3/kcm_keyboard.la: Shared object "kcm_keyboard.a"
not found
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: library=kcm_keyboard:
file=/usr/pkg/lib/kde3/kcm_keyboard.la: Shared object "kcm_keyboard.a"
not found
>> synthesizer priority is 0 (which is unacceptable, try running as
>> root)
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE,
overriding
WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window
parameter) \x09
  Major opcode:  \x0e

---

Okay, the QPixmap messages seem to appear before the KDE start screen.
Should this concern me?

kcm_keyboard.a is in /usr/pkg/lib/kde along with kcm_keyboard.la, even
though it's not being found.  I also get this error message again when
I try to access the keyboard settings under the configuration tool.
Is there some way I can make kcm_keyboard.la find kcm_keyboard.a?

I don't run KDE as root; is there some program I should set to execute
with root privileges so that the synthesizer can get a better
priority?

Occasionally, /tmp/.ICE-unix seems to migrate to ownership of a
non-root user, and KDE will complain about it.  Does anyone know what
might be causing the problem?

Should I be concerned about the mcop warning?

I also get:

ASSERT: "m_widget" in kaction.cpp (2993)
ASSERT: "m_widget" in kaction.cpp (2993)

Every time I close Konqueror.  Is this normal?

I've browsed around, can't really find any answers to these questions
at all.  (Well, I haven't looked around about the Konqueror or mcop
thing.)  Even pointers in the right direction of where to start
looking would help.  I can't really use KDE as it is; programs seem
to core dump (sometimes), ksirc can be started from a terminal
emulator but doesn't start from a menu, weird keyboard problems
start to happen, like the shift key seeming to act like the enter
key, and I can't even look at the keyboard settings.  So I'm just
starting at the beginning, so to speak, and making the warnings go
away, which is always a good idea.

This is KDE 3.1.4.