[a bit OT] favorite music players

David T-G davidtg-kde at justpickone.org
Sun Feb 29 12:04:19 GMT 2004

Hi, all --

I have long been a fan of xmms for its simplicity and similarity to
WinAmp, on which I was raised, but it has its limitations.

I pull almost all of my music from my home server via http (I generate
a listing, format it as the http links, and use that as a playlist).  I
have about 4k tracks, fairly well-tagged, in my collection; unfortunately
it appears that not only id3 info but even time remaining info is not
available via http.  At times I will want to jump to a particular track,
and that's where xms is weakest -- no matter whether the tracks are
remote or local, finding it is a stinker.

I'd appreciate recommendations for a good jukebox manager for use under
KDE (see, it's not *entirely* off-topic ;-)

TIA & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg at justpickone.org * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) davidtgwork at justpickone.org  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"