lost sound after trying KMix

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sun Feb 29 02:47:13 GMT 2004

A couple weeks ago there was a question about having a panel volume
control, and someone mentioned KMix so I opened and tried it. I also tried
the Panel Applet and wasn't really interested in either.

BUT, now I can't play CDs through either KsCD or XMMS. I hear system sounds
and the various "test" sounds available, and also sound over the 'Net, but
no sound from a CD. Both players recognize the disc and play it, but no
sound!

I also now get

Can't locate these modules:
   sound-service-1-0: 2 Time(s)
   sound-service-0-0: 1 Time(s)
   char-major-226: 1 Time(s)
   sound-slot-1: 2 Time(s)
   char-major-188: 1 Time(s)

from LogWatch. I Googled for what I could find but am now stumped. I
haven't opened the machine or installed anything new or anything I can
think of other than trying out KMix and the Applet.

KDE 3.1.4 on RedHat 9.