Octet-Stream - Mime Type Not Found [Solved]

Don C. Weber fo_recon at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 28 14:49:10 GMT 2004

Okay, here is what I found out on my own.  I went to the following url which
explains the extension types for all the mime-types (at least a partial
list).

http://www.duke.edu/websrv/file-extensions.html

I sifted through all the entries and added the file extentions that they
included in the following manner.

Open "Control Center" select "File Associations" click the "application" group
of the tree and make sure the octet-stream is not included.  Click the
"Add..." button and change group to "application".  Now select the
"octet-stream" entry and add the following file extentions.

*.bin
*.class
*.dms
*.exe
*.lha
*.lzh

I also put "octet-stream" in the Description text box and did not add any
applictions to the "Application Preference Order" area (I would bet that you
should not add any preferred applications as this might mess stuff up even
further.).

I have not tried this with multiple users yet so I am not sure if you have to
do this for everybody.  I have also noticed that I am not given the option to
remove this mime-type (the "Remove.." button next to the "Add..." button
remains disabled) now that I have included it.  If somebody can tell me why
or in what file that this information is stored (as I have not found any
reference to it) it would be much appreciated.

I hope this helps somebody later as I could find very little on this
information.

Thanks,
Cutaway

On Friday 27 February 2004 07:10 am, Don C. Weber wrote:
> Okay, I'll put this out there one more time before I move onto the next
> forum. Has anybody had this problem and not been able to add octet-stream
> to the file associations?  Everytime I had it it just disappears.  I have
> done this as root as well with the same result.
>
> Thank you,
> Cutaway
>
> On Tuesday 24 February 2004 10:00 pm, Don C. Weber wrote:
> > I recently updated to kde-3.2.0 and I started receiving this error.
> >
> > Could not find mime type.
> > application/octet-stream
> >
> > I have tried the default solution which is to go into file
> > associations->applications and add octet-stream but for some reason it
> > never saves it.  I have tried this as a normal user and as the root user.
> >
> > Please help:  This is getting very annoying and nobody seems to have a
> > solution.
> >
> > On a side note:  My task bar seems to be slightly off.  When I click on
> > the K button and the menu pops up the right hand most part of the bar is
> > missing. I can just barely see the arrows that are suppose to be there.
> > Has anybody seen this behavior in kde-3.2?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Don

----------------------------
Take Care,
Don C. Weber, GSEC, GSNA, CISSP
624 Coombs Creek Drive
Dallas, TX 75211
fo_recon at sbcglobal.net
972.319.0339 Pager
972.205.8610 Work
214.942.8112 Cell

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now.
There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will
invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
-Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

"Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young
men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our
borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return
is enough to bury those that did not return."
-Collin Powell
(when asked about U.S. empire building by the archbishop of Canterbury)